I began this experiment on Monday 30th April 2012 and 8 weeks later we arrive at today, my destination 8 weeks sugar free! As you are all aware, there have been a total of 5 hiccups which I have detailed in previous posts and considering this has been a 56 day experiment I think statistically that ain’t too bad!
So what are my (one woman) research findings?
- It was not as hard as thought it may be. In fact once I set my mind to it, I found it was easy to say no to the bowl of bullets under my nose, or a bowl of chocolates sitting on the table! I suppose when you have your head set in “experiment” mode there is not that sense of restriction or deprivation, it was, it is ..an experiment!
- People comment on your behaviour when you make an obvious change. IE I was at a dinner and said no to dessert and explained what I was doing which then opened the floodgates into a whole new discussion of pros/ cons etc. It is similar to another client who has cut back on her wine content considerably and is loving the health benefits. When she is out socialising however, everyone comments on the fact that she is not drinking, coercing her to have “just one” or want to know what is wrong with her!! Some people don’t like change!
- I have lost weight – though this was not my intention. Not a lot, but what I have noticed is that it is an all over weight loss from top to toe, not just from my usual already non existent chest area!
- My eyes are clearer. The whites are definitely whiter!!
- My skin feels more hydrated. Interestingly I had my Mother’s Day Facial the other day (one of my pressies) and the beautician positively commented on the state of my skin….though in hindsight she could say that to all her clients!!
- I believe I have definitely been sleeping better and not getting up or waking as much as I usually do!
Conclusion: I have thoroughly enjoyed my experiment and intend to remain sugar free as much as I can.
I have loved my switch to full fat Greek Style yoghurt’s and indulging everyday has been one of my pleasures. My newly discovered sugar – free muesli (the muesli) is one of my great finds and have now converted many a client. Whether I have it with the yoghurt or heat it up on a cold morning with rice milk it keeps me satisfied more often that not till well after 1.00pm!
I am very much looking forward to eating fruit daily again – I did not cut it out completely but I did cut it down considerably. As you know whole foods such as fruit are an extremely important part of a nutritious diet… just remember to have a small protein source with them to keep your blood sugar levels stable.
So there it is – I can highly recommend to everyone going sugar free or at least just cutting as many unwanted sugars out of your daily life as possible… your body will thank you for it.
Be Healthy & Happy!